Peter Riches is a partner and founding member of Morley Riches and Ablewhite.
Peter is both qualified and experienced in the property sector. He qualified as a Member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) in 1983 having graduated and joined the property investment department of Royal London Insurance in 1981. During his time there, Peter was responsible for all property management functions, portfolio valuation, landlord and tenant administration and investment acquisitions. In 1984, Peter took over the direct management of their London portfolio.
Peter’s experience in the industry continued to grow as he left Royal London Insurance in 1986 and moved to a Director position for a private practice in Colchester, specialising in commercial property. Peter oversaw the day to day running of the business, undertaking property valuation, landlord and tenant case work and other ‘non-agency’ business. This is where he gained the skills, knowledge and expertise to start his own company.
Peter was elected a Fellow of the RICS in 1995 and formed Morley Riches and Ablewhite in 2001. The company was a great success, winning the contract to manage the Crown Estate’s coastal properties in the same year. This area of work is something Peter particularly enjoys. He is very proud of the team at Morley Riches and Ablewhite, and the achievements made by the practice over the last decade, despite continuous changes in the property industry.
Out of the office, Peter is a keen musician. He has been playing guitar since the age of 11 and is currently playing in a blues/rock band called The Nolan Brothers.See more of Peter and the band
Tea or coffee? Coffee, white with 2 sweeteners (I’m diabetic!)
Early bird or night owl? Night Owl
10 mile countryside bike ride or cosy sofa and wood burner? Shamefully, it’d have to be the sofa
Red wine or white? Red wine – Henschke
Books or films? Both. I have a book on the go all the time but like the movies as well
Shopping or fishing? Neither!
Vanilla crème brulée or farmhouse cheese board? Port and chocolates (despite being diabetic – I like to break a few rules)
Choice of colour: Olive green or fuchsia pink? I don’t do favourite colours…
Cats or dogs? Dogs. We have 5!
Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice or the autobiography of Richard Branson? I’ve never read Pride and Prejudice, and I rarely read non-fiction unless I’m researching the family archives on the internet. I like Jack Reacher books.
Winter or summer? Summer
Downton Abbey or Human Universe? Downton
Football or Tennis? Tennis to play, football to watch, although I prefer Rugby as they’re not a bunch of overpaid prima donnas. Cricket to listen to – I’m a big fan of Test Match Special
Twitter or Facebook? Facebook although I have my doubts about that!
Clients choose to work with our friendly, professional team time and time again because we consistently deliver a quality service that makes their lives easier. Our plain-speaking approach ensures everyone is kept on the same page and that a project can move forward in a timely and cost-effective way.
What people say about working with us
- "Griffin Chapman has a long-standing relationship with Morley Riches & Ablewhite. Our experience is that they are highly professional, efficient and proactive. We have been pleased to recommend a number of our clients to Morley Riches & Ablewhite for assistance in property matters. The feedback that we have received has been highly positive. We have also been pleased to co-sponsor a number of successful corporate events with Morley Riches & Ablewhite over recent years."Griffin Chapman, Chartered Accountants
- "Dudley Smith Partnership has enjoyed a long and positive professional relationship with Morley Riches and Ablewhite. Their broad professional services are delivered with efficiency and they display a practical approach together with proactive client service. Our respective firms have from time to time worked jointly on projects over the years and we are pleased to recommend Morley Riches and Ablewhite when the opportunity arises."Dudley Smith Partnership
- "Morley, Riches & Ablewhite – forgettable name, but seriously unforgettable service! We engaged MRA about 3 years’ ago on recommendation. We have never regretted it. Good, practical advice on all property aspects, including new leases, professional discussions with existing Landlords and advice generally. At all times the service has been prompt, professional and cost-effective. Communication skills are first rate and we have confidence in the calibre of MRA’s team and their ability to provide commercial insight and evolve innovative win / win solutions."John May, Director, Thompson & Morgan Group Holdings Limited
- "We are very happy with the friendly, professional and pro-active commercial property management service which we receive from Jon Ablewhite and we accordingly have no hesitation in recommending him and his firm."Rodney Stock, Bishop’s Stortford
- "Jon Ablewhite of Morley, Riches and Ablewhite has provided professional services to my company for many years. This has included sales, purchasing and renting of office properties in and around Colchester. He has been very professional and thorough, combining this with an understanding of the needs of a business client such as ourselves. Together with Peter Riches, he forms a very strong and likeable team."Russell Sainty, Seaford Properties Limited
- "Being a local business in Colchester, we seek to establish relationships with local professionals in certain key areas of business. Morley Riches and Ablewhite are a professional friend of Handelsbanken and understood from a very early stage what we were looking for from their reports. They have been extremely prompt in their delivery of valuations and more than happy to discuss all aspects of the property market within our catchment area, which we find very valuable. Overall a pleasure to deal with."Russell Felstead, Handelsbanken