Our dilapidations service serves landlords and tenants of commercial properties.
For landlords, it is often necessary to prepare and serve a Schedule of Dilapidations when the lease is expiring and the current tenant is vacating a property that is in disrepair. For a tenant not renewing a lease we can advise on the potential liability that will arise or when in receipt of a schedule from your landlord.
The dilapidations claim process involves the consideration of the current lease terms, inspection of the property and assessment of likely liability for repair works to be completed. As RICS Registered Valuers, we are also able to undertake “Section 18” valuations. These are necessary as there is a statutory cap on damages, which involves calculating the ‘diminution in value’ of the landlord’s interests that have been affected by breaches of a lease covenant. This all sounds a little bit technical, but needless to say, we excel in this area and walk our clients through the process with ease.
Clients choose to work with our friendly, professional team time and time again because we consistently deliver a quality service that makes their lives easier. Our plain-speaking approach ensures everyone is kept on the same page and that a project can move forward in a timely and cost-effective way.
What people say about working with us
- "Griffin Chapman has a long-standing relationship with Morley Riches & Ablewhite. Our experience is that they are highly professional, efficient and proactive. We have been pleased to recommend a number of our clients to Morley Riches & Ablewhite for assistance in property matters. The feedback that we have received has been highly positive. We have also been pleased to co-sponsor a number of successful corporate events with Morley Riches & Ablewhite over recent years."Griffin Chapman, Chartered Accountants
- "Dudley Smith Partnership has enjoyed a long and positive professional relationship with Morley Riches and Ablewhite. Their broad professional services are delivered with efficiency and they display a practical approach together with proactive client service. Our respective firms have from time to time worked jointly on projects over the years and we are pleased to recommend Morley Riches and Ablewhite when the opportunity arises."Dudley Smith Partnership
- "Morley, Riches & Ablewhite – forgettable name, but seriously unforgettable service! We engaged MRA about 3 years’ ago on recommendation. We have never regretted it. Good, practical advice on all property aspects, including new leases, professional discussions with existing Landlords and advice generally. At all times the service has been prompt, professional and cost-effective. Communication skills are first rate and we have confidence in the calibre of MRA’s team and their ability to provide commercial insight and evolve innovative win / win solutions."John May, Director, Thompson & Morgan Group Holdings Limited
- "We are very happy with the friendly, professional and pro-active commercial property management service which we receive from Jon Ablewhite and we accordingly have no hesitation in recommending him and his firm."Rodney Stock, Bishop’s Stortford
- "Jon Ablewhite of Morley, Riches and Ablewhite has provided professional services to my company for many years. This has included sales, purchasing and renting of office properties in and around Colchester. He has been very professional and thorough, combining this with an understanding of the needs of a business client such as ourselves. Together with Peter Riches, he forms a very strong and likeable team."Russell Sainty, Seaford Properties Limited
- "Being a local business in Colchester, we seek to establish relationships with local professionals in certain key areas of business. Morley Riches and Ablewhite are a professional friend of Handelsbanken and understood from a very early stage what we were looking for from their reports. They have been extremely prompt in their delivery of valuations and more than happy to discuss all aspects of the property market within our catchment area, which we find very valuable. Overall a pleasure to deal with."Russell Felstead, Handelsbanken